Jo Carrion

| map-marker Brooklyn, New York

I’d like to know why they don’t communicate properly with the public

Original review Apr 27, 2024

I went on my Amazon account today and I found out that they mailed me a check because they processed the double payment. Where is their communication?

Dont they have any communication skills? Is there any reason why these people could not have emailed me telling me to look out for a check that is over $1000?

This is one more example of the kind of people that they have working at this bank if its even a bank, I think somebody besides me, with all these complaints against them should really contact the New York State Banking departmentI could not believe that until I looked at my credit card online that you deducted that amount from my account? No apology, no communication, nothing I cant even contact them because the last time I called to discuss this a supervisor, yes, a supervisor hung up on me You need to reassess what you guys are doing you are all one worse than the other!!

User's recommendation: Stay away from this bank and if you are stuck with them on Amazon, like I am then please make sure you keep an eye on every move they make, and when you make a purchase go very slowly because if you have to deal with their customer service people they’re just as worse as Comenity Bank. In fact, they must be related somehow.

This company deserves a class action lawsuit!

Synchrony Bank is single handedly destroying everything that credit builders/rebuilders work so *** hard to achieve with their greedy Mickey Mouse system. In a world where credit scores determine so many futures and outcomes, you're better off WITHOUT Synchrony Bank.

(Especially if you're trying to increase your scores to the 700-800 range.) Don't believe me? Do a little research before accepting a new line of credit from them. They close accounts in good standing due to lack of use/no use...WITHOUT NOTICE! = NEGATIVE IMPACT ON YOUR CREDIT SCORE!

They decrease credit limits due to a lack of regular spending. = Increases credit utilization = NEGATIVE IMPACT ON YOUR CREDIT SCORE! Their entire operation is a designed to FAIL the consumer. It may be in their terms and conditions, but believe me when I say that it doesn't matter how meticulous you are with paying bills, if you're not utilizing a fair amount of your credit lines issued, they will take them away, ultimately leaving you with the very thing you want to avoid with revolving credit accounts.

(high credit utilization) If you think you're doing a good job by maintaining a zero balance, think again. They will close the account. WITHOUT NOTICE and not even think twice about because it's automated. Closed CC Accounts = NEGATIVE IMPACT ON YOUR CREDIT SCORE!

My experience? CareCredit limit reduced by $1500 to only $500 due to lack of regular spending or use...it's *** CareCredit! (I used it only for vet services.) Their response..."If you can find a Rite Aid, you can use it like a credit card." Unfortunately, I don't shop at Rite Aid. I never have.

Nor do I have any plans on doing so anytime soon if at all and I'm certainly not going to drive around looking for one just to keep my CARECREDIT account alive. That would be absurd. Another response was, "You can request a credit line increase." = HARD INQUIRY...NEGATIVE IMPACT ON YOUR CREDIT SCORE! Baers Furniture Card 1K closed due to lack of use.

They proposed that I reapply. Doing so would add a hard inquiry. = NEGATIVE IMPACT ON CREDIT SCORE! Yes, I'm pissed.

That's because building your credit score up is not easy and when these unnecessary changes happen, they can quickly drop your score and entire scoring category. (Very Good - Good or Fair - Good, etc.) While in the real world this may not seem like a big deal, I assure you that it most certainly is in the credit scoring world. It's one thing to decrease credit lines and close accounts to those who fail to pay their bills. However, it's another altogether to do it to those who meet and exceed payment expectations on a monthly basis.

Those who do a good job should be rewarded.

Their practices are unacceptable. I'm looking forward to a class action lawsuit.

Reason of review:
Problems with payment
InsaneHurricane

They did exactly this to me. All payments on time, never missed a payment.

I decided not to use the card again after my first large purchase because I wanted to focus on paying the balance off (about $2,500) before buying anything else. When I had the balance down to $630 and was close to paying it off, they slashed my credit limit from $4,000 to $660, which will obviously cause some damage to my credit, but that’s okay. I have other credit cards with better companies who aren’t unethical or shady and actually care about their customers unlike Synchrony. My credit score will go back up.

Even when I lose a few points for closing my credit card accounts with them after I pay them off 100%. I’ll just be happy to purge this company from my life and to make better financial decisions than doing business with them.

So true

***

Guest

We have had the same experience. Wal Mart used them for their credit card customers and a few years back dropped them and switched to Capital One to issue their store card.

There was many Wal Mart customers complaining. So happy Wal Mart listened.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2205529

No, Capital One gave WM a better deal. They could care less about you.

Oh and as an FYI, something tells me you haven't seen the complaints about the WM C1 card. Same complaints from the same lame losers.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2250972

Such a great deal that WM is trying to break ties with C1 right?

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2205529

Yuy

Agreed too 150%...,...

Guest

I just wanted to point out to everyone that I am also a victim of Synchrony. They sent me, in the mail, without my permission, a $600.00 Amazon store credit card after I locked my Mastercard on file with Amazon.

They are Amazon’s store credit card banking partner as well as 90% of the stores, EBay, PayPal, BestBuy, etc…included. They handle most of the store credit card purchases and billing. I believe only Walmart dropped them and now uses Capital One instead. Many of us say we will switch to another bank but you know what?

I researched Chase, Citizen’s, Bank of America, and other big banks on this site and found that they all have complaints of poor customer satisfaction ratings of under 2% out of hundreds of thousand of reviews per bank. Most reviewed banks have less than 10 resolved complaints each. If any. The claimed losses per institution by reviewers is in the millions of dollars each.

Where are those millions of dollars going? I’ve found 2 satisfied customers only and they could have been put there by banks themselves. I don’t know. My conclusion is that local Credit Unions are better than the banks listed on pissedconsumer.

In fact, I found zero complaints regarding credit unions. Only the big banks listed all have basically the exact same problems. Is this site just for complaints? Are positive reviewers not coming because happy customers tend to not come on these consumer advocacy sites, not just this one.

Are these sites only meant for consumer complaints? Are these skewing the purposes of advocacy sites? I’m not finding “happy” sites because who wants to read complimentary reviews? I’m just talking about financial institutions.

I have reviewed non financial sites with the same results. On several different advocacy sites.

I’ve only found two “thank you” reviews on pissedconsumer. So how can one find equal negative and positive reviews?

Guest

They tried it on me with Amazon, who uses synchrony but my 729 credit score never was affected

View more comments (258)
Pianoman

| map-marker Yazoo City, Mississippi

Charge dispute/charge back

I ordered a product from Keto Products but after reading the "FINE PRINT", I saw after the order was processed that it was a "recurring subscription" that I did not intend to order, I thought I ordered a "One time purchase". So, alter speaking with 5 representatives on the phone, and not understanding their speech (they can't speak American English too well), nothing was resolved and after looking at the account online this morning December 26, 2023 the charges are still pending and have not been reversed as the emails I have received states I would get a refund of $199.85 and $59.85 since the orders were cancelled.

(see attachments) I received a letter stating to call representative but I have already spoken to 5 or 6 reps to no avail. Americans have the right to cancel orders before the order has been processed, and I cancelled the order with 24 hours on the weekend (Sunday).I have provided copies of the pending charges (6) in total and I Only ordered the product "ONCE", not 4 or 6...I have provided attachments in here to prove my case.I want my Chevron /Texaco visa credit card credited (Serviced By Synchrony Bank), the amount in dispute / in question...

User's recommendation: Beware

Ilene H Rax

They screwed me over.

Synchrony is bad to do close accounts and entrap consumers while tanking their credit. Fortunately, this last time they did this, I just paid off all balances AND THEN THEY DROPPED THE AVAILABLE LINE TO NEAR NOTHING.

They are a monopoly and people end up forced to use them through retailers. They need investigated because I would bet they are violating many consumer laws, manipulating credit to increase levy higher interest, as well as monopolistic tactics where they become so necessarily utilized they are a powerful corrupt force in the economy. If left unchecked, by the time their corruption has grown, it will be difficult stop the destruction caused amongst both consumer population and competing financial institutions. I just hope others rise up and take a stand, telling of the manipulative practices that gouge the average and unsuspected consumer.

I can say SYNCHRONY IS THE ONLY CREDIT LINE THAT IVE SEEN THIS CONSISTENTLY. Others such as Citi, Capital One, etc this type of behavior has NEVER occurred. Theyre a snare in the American economy and if I could give negative stars, I would. They would fare best for ANY OTHER FINANCIAL INSTITUTION TO ASSUME THEM, in fact I THINK THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT NEEDS TO MAINTAIN ALL SYNCHRONY BUSINESS.

We would actually all be better off in the long run. Theyre crooked; Ive never seen any other legitimate credit lines of same caliber.

BEWARE AND BOYCOTT SYNCHRONY. THEY ARE BIAS AND DISCRIMINATORY FOR GREED/PROFIT.DONT USE THEM

Loss:

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: DO NOT USE THESEPEOPLE

Guest

LOL...What a fool. Let me guess, you're playing the utilization game by filling your pocket with a bunch of useless cards and then are too dumb to keep their limits. You fools amuse me thinking this company is in the credit building business.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2514642

I'm not playing any game idiot. Sounds like you need to read more. SMH...dumb ***

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2514656

If YOU would have READ the cardholders agreement to which YOU AGREED, you would have seen its their card and they can raise, lower or close the account whenever they want! What we have here is just another crying, whining, wailing dummy who doesn't have enough FINANCIAL COMMON SENSE to READ their agreements BEFORE they agree to them!

It's actually exceedingly hilarious to read your sorry whining story because it is so very obvious what you FAILED TO DO and YOU are exhibiting to the world your very obvious LACK OF COMMON SENSE! Thanks for the laughs!

View more comments (2)
Jo Carrion

| map-marker Brooklyn, New York

Worst supervisory assistance ever….

They made a mistake on my credit card through the Amazon purchases that I made. They double-processed a paymentWhen I called to have it reversed, they said it would be done but it never was.I called back and I asked to be transferred to a customer service supervisor bc I felt I was getting a runaround.

The entire hold period was ridiculous and then the supervisor refused to hear what the other people did wrong (which was a $1500 error), and told me that if I didnt stop talking about it, he would hang up on me, which he did.

How would a person be able to explain to a supervisor what happened if I cannot talk about the past they definitely need to train their whole entire staff because their supervisors are just as bad as the people that they hire on an entry-level position. You have to understand the problem before you can solve it

User's recommendation: Try to involve yourself as minimally as you have to with this “bank”…

Lonny Xjq

| map-marker Dubuque, Iowa

Employee

They seem to say I change my auto pay online which I did not. After talking to an account manager named WILL I was told I would be charge from Synchrony Bank.as well as twice from my bank.

He said he had no employee number or employee id to provided. I ask what location ad he sad he would not do that either.

1 I always pay my bill on time

2 If it was changed on line I did it invertently. did it on line.

3. I did not owe a payment.

4 I went in and changed the payment to the minimum.

My bank suggested I call Synchrony Bank and tell them not to run the item through the bank again.

( I did that on 4/3/2024

6. several days later after I changed the auto payment they took out the amount again$4200.

I do not understand poor Customer Service.

There is always a way to change something in billing. I dont like being lied too.

User's recommendation: Find a different cred card company! One that has a better policies to help the custome!

Judy M Bbp

Verified Reviewer

Worst Credit Card Around! SKIP SHOPHQ!!

Nothing but a nightmare and repeated calls to their customer service department that is obviously based in an offshore country where the Kings English is a second language! I made the horrible mistake of falling for the ShopHQ 30% off incentive of opening a credit card I didnt need (bc it saved me $800+ on my purchase) only to discover that they only gave me a $2K limit and my total came to $2235.

My credit score is over 800. I called to request a $500 increase but was denied. Then the 30% dropped off and I was charged full price so I had to cancel the whole order through ShopHQ. It took another 3 business days for Synchrony to credit monies back to account.

Meanwhile, I took a hard hit to my credit score - when I didnt need to - and got nothing in return. Such BS.

Shame on me! DONT DO IT.

Cons:
  • Off shore customer service with heavy accents

Preferred solution: Decent increase on credit limit and my 30 percent off code.

User's recommendation: Find coupons or use your own cc!! These bastards charge 32.9% interest!

Kyle M Cxh

| map-marker Mount Vernon, New York

Synchrony removed my payment from my account, after it was paid off.

Synchrony Bank - Synchrony removed my payment from my account, after it was paid off. - Image 2

Last summer my dog needed an expensive surgery, so I opened a Care Credit account with Synchrony Bank to help pay for it. This was considered a 'promotional purchase,' and if I paid off the entire balance by 1/2/24 I wouldn't be charged interest fees.

If I didn't pay it off by then, I'd be charged interest on the entire purchase. I also made two additional 'promotional purchases' at the vet later, one expires in March, the other in April.

I made a $529 payment in December, paying off the first promotional purchase before the expiration date in January, avoiding interest fees. I have screenshots of the account, showing the balance on that purchase was $0.00, and the status was PAID OFF. These screenshots are from the expiration date, 1/2/24.

If any further payments were required on that balance then they would have needed to tell me, so I could make the additional payments on time. But no, the balance clearly said $0.00, and the account status was PAID OFF.

I logged into the account days later and saw that they transferred my payment from the purchase that expired in January to the balances that expire later. Now, since there is a balance on the purchase that expired in January, I will be getting hit with interest fees. This is not right, as I paid off this purchase in time, and have proof that it was marked as PAID OFF.

I sent customer service a message, providing them with the screenshots that prove I paid off the balance in time.

I asked them to restore the status on that balance to PAID OFF.

I also asked for an explanation of why they removed my payment from that balance. They did not fulfill either request.

In summary:

-My balance was due in January, I paid it off in December.

-On the expiration date, the balance on this purchase was $0.00, and the status was PAID OFF.

-Sometime later they removed the payment from this balance and changed the status.

-I asked them to restore my status to PAID OFF and provide an explanation, they did not fulfill either request.

User's recommendation: AVOID SYNCHRONY! Seriously, do not open an account with Synchrony Bank or Care Credit.

Kevin M Rgs

Malicious Actions

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS ORGANIZATION. THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY AWFUL.

Only giving one star because zero is not an option. I made FULL PAYMENT on my Synchrony/Chevron Visa card and they closed the account. I've made significant payments on my Synchrony/Pay Pal Credit account and every time I do, they decrease my credit limit. Today, my payment processed and they cut my credit limit again.

As they haven't updated my account balance, it triggered and reflects that I am now OVER my limit on my credit report. I AM NOT OVER MY LIMIT. I have been working hard to pay down my debt and restore my credit and their actions are damaging my credit. My credit score has actually increased/improved 180 points, no thanks to them.

They have NO reason to be taking the actions they are taking against me. I have always made my payments as scheduled.

Pros:
  • No pros
Cons:
  • Disrespectful customer service
  • Dishonest and malicious actions

Preferred solution: I want my accounts closed by MY reqeuest and any derogatory credit reports corrected.

User's recommendation: DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY

Guest

Did you ever bother to READ the CARDHOLDER AGREEMENT? It's their credit card and they can raise or lower the credit limit whenever they want or close the account. Since you are here whining about it as if it's some type of surprise, it's a dead giveaway you didn't even bother to READ what you AGREED to!

Kevin M Rgs
reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2520352

I don’t recall asking your opinion. You CAN jump off a cliff but that doesn’t mean you should.

Have you seen their horrible reviews?

It’s not just me. How about letting them respond instead of spewing their corporate line and not hiding behind a guest login.

View more comments (1)
InsaneHurricane

| map-marker Atlanta, Georgia

BEWARE OF SYNCHRONY BANK

Synchrony Bank is literally the worst company on earth.

A few years back, I was approved for a retail credit card through Mattress Firm with a $4,000 limit. The card had a promotional offer attached to it which allowed me to make my first purchase (about $2500+) with zero interest until I paid the amount completely off.

For the first couple of years, this was great because I had opted to focus on paying the card down to a zero balance before I would ever use it again. I was using the card wisely which is what responsible people do with credit cards, but Synchrony Bank? Well, lets just say that what they preferred was for me to use my card recklessly so they could benefit from charging their ridiculous fees on top of the costs associated with whatever purchases I could have made next.

These *** decided that having a perfect payment history and making my payments on time with them just wasnt enough. Instead of rewarding good behavior (with, I dont know, a credit limit increase?), they punished me during the CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY this year by stripping me of high credit limit they had given me in the first place. When I got the balance down to about $630, they unexpectedly slashed my credit limit down to about 15% of what the credit limit was before- $660.

So now, theyve caused my credit score to decrease because they withdrew about $3,400 from my overall available credit, which then raised my credit utilization significantly and made me look as if Im being completely irresponsible with the available credit I have left. The cherry on top of all of this is that when I look at the MySynchrony website, it says Ive used over 90% of the available credit I have now.

Well, no *** You jerks decided to purposefully take away the available credit you had given me and dropped it down to the bare minimum in a deliberate attempt to destroy my credit.

I really hate this company. For anyone who is seeking a retail credit card, Id like to share a piece of advice that I hope you will find valuable: If you look into applying for one of these cards and see it's from Synchrony Bank, RUN. Do not open a credit card account with them.

Read through some of the many thousands of reviews from pissed off consumers all around the country who have experienced what its like to deal with this scummy, shady, unethical excuse for a company. I promise you that you will be doing yourself a favor if you dont open an account with them, but if you do, good luck. If youre responsible with your cards, I sincerely hope you dont have to deal with this kind of unreasonable crap from them.

Cons:
  • Punishing people who are responsible with their credit cards
  • Shady business practices
  • Greedy

Preferred solution: I’d like to get my credit limit back AND a sincere apology for the way this company treated a good, loyal, responsible customer, especially during Christmas.

User's recommendation: DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY. They will punish you for good spending habits and will try to wreck your credit.

Andrew M Hgo

| map-marker Hudson, New Hampshire

Trashed my credit and is costing me money

Synchrony Bank - Trashed my credit and is costing me money

In early 2021 I opened up a Sams Club CC which is issued by and administered by Synchrony bank. My card was used to fuel my Jeep and when the payment was made the payment was made for .01c too little.

I saw the error and contacted Synchrony and was told that the issue was resolved by credits being issued to my account. This was never done. Due to being away and ill it was not until August that during a mortgage refinance that my mortgage broker discovered that my credit report showed the account as delinquent. I again called Synchrony this time asking to speak to a supervisor.

Calls are recorded so I thought that that would help. No such luck. I stayed on the phone while the advisor one by one reversed the charges. However they were called writeoffs or similar which impacted my credit score.

I spent 25 years in the financial services industry and this incompetence harmed me greatly. My credit score had always been north of 800 and typically in the 825 range or better. A 75-100 point drop is unacceptable. As a disabled person I rely on credit, apps, phones and the internet to be my lifeline to the outside world.

I previously filed a complaint with the CFPB and Ashley Moore called me from Synchrony Bank. I did return the call but never heard back. I have since called twice but never heard back. I also called Synchrony Bank as well as Sams club numerous times to get this issue resolved.

Not one person has taken ownership nor has shown the inclination, courtesy, compassion or kindness to help me.

Due to this discrimination I am unable to secure credit at stores where Synchrony owns the credit business thus costing me money by preventing me from taking advantage of discounts, 0% interest offers etc. Synchrony Bank needs to be held accountable.

Pros:
  • App
  • Web page
Cons:
  • Control too many company credit cards
  • Company line mentality
  • Wont fix problems

Preferred solution: Fix the way my account was closed.

User's recommendation: Trust but verify

Guest

" I spent 25 years in the financial services industry " Then you should have been smart enough to simply write a check for a dollar or so to cover such a small balance and move on. Rather than do that, you thought your 25 years meant d y c k to anyone and was going to call and tell them about it.

You asked for this by not taking the easy rout You can tell a loser by the way they pad their lame complaint with irrelevant factoids. No one cares if you're disabled nor does it have anything to do this with this.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2451563

Agree 100%. Also this Titan of Industry needs to understand this is not discrimination. Not one person involved in this knows one thing about him.

Andrew M Hgo
reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2451563

A few other irrelevant factoids: my vehicle was actually used by someone else and my payments were made by yet another person. I was soon thereafter removed from my home and taken an hour away to a medical facility to convalesce due to complications from COVID-19.

You know absolutely nothing about me yet feel more than comfortable to mock, degrade and insult me.

Feel free to insult me all you like. I may have suffered permanent brain damage but I know what happened was a series of unfortunate events with no ill intent or malice.

View more comments (2)
Sherman Pfk

| map-marker Rockwall, Texas

Not my account

Synchrony Bank - Not my account
Synchrony Bank - Not my account - Image 2
I didn't open this account mail has been sent to my home address and some kind card has been but in my wallet on my phone which I have never used

Preferred solution: Full refund

Zahira Xhj

| map-marker Daytona Beach, Florida

Late payment turned in to credit bureau. Never been late before.

I have four of your credit cards. Now I only have 3. I canceled the Lowes. And Im going to cancel the rest unless I get the delinquent accounts reported removed. The lady I talked to was absolutely no help. I know you can have these reports removed. I tried to explain this to the lady I talked to. She didnt listen. If you review my credit I have never had a late payment.

User's recommendation: Don’t get a credit card with synchronicity

| map-marker Pompano Beach, Florida

I purchased an item from a company and did not like it and then 6 days later the Company sent me the same item again this time charging me over 200 dollars I returned the item to the Post Office c

Synchrony Bank - I purchased an item from a company and did not like it and then 6 days later the...
I called Synchrony Back gave them the confirmation number verified the return yet they keep billing me for something I dont have I tried numerous times to get this problem rectified but Synchrony Bank refuses to credit me the return TJ MAX

User's recommendation: DONT DEAL WITH SYNCHRONY BANK

Jeremy S Ebf

| map-marker Bedford, New Hampshire

Unnecessary credit inquiries

Lowes online Credit inquiry #1 made per soc sec # but before identity confirmed. Denied due to unable to confirm identity. ONLY Method of identity confirmation= cell phone to match home address. My cell is in my co name thus not matching address. Inquiry #2 made in Lowes store. Denied and told wait 4 wks. Credit score ave 770 with other synchrony accts/Dicks. Inquiry #3 pending unfortunately Lowes acct is necessary.
Pros:
  • Speedy approval in store
Cons:
  • Poor cust serv one option to validate ident online

Preferred solution: Avoid inquiry #3 because a supervisor is smart enough to review circumstances and over ride

User's recommendation: Don't apply for Lowe's online unless your cell is in your name vs your co or employer. Wait 4+weeks if you do

Laurie M Box

No one knows how to answer my simple question

Had a free trial for Prime. Decided not to go with it.

I then received my bill and I was charged for that month. I called and the person on the phone said it was fraud and sent me another card. Got the card and now I am being billed $139.00 annually or 14.99 a month. I do not want either.

I called again to explain this situation and wanted to cancel. The girl keeps me on the phone for 12 minutes with the wrong answer and tells me I wasn't billed for the 14.99. She didn't understand what I was saying. I searched google to find an email for customer service for Amazon/Synchrony no where to be found.

No where to be found on Amazon. it is very annoying 3 calls. and no one got it or they chose not to get it. I DO NOT WANT THIS CARD.

NO CUSTOMER SERVICE VIA EMAIL OR I JUST CANNOT FIND IT. I AM DONE

Preferred solution: cancellation of this Amazon Prime card

User's recommendation: DON'T GET THIS CARD-TOO MUCH OF A PROBLEM WHEN ASKING THE AUTOMATED SERVICE AND ASKING FOR AN AGENT

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article