Verified Reviewer

A few years ago I took a loan from Synchrony thru PayPal credit, which I added my bank account for the monthly payments of $59. In the year 2020 I had a huge disagreement with PayPal and decided to not deal with them anymore.

In the meantime they still debited my bank account for the monthly payment. Three months ago I closed this bank account, and I called Synchrony bank just before May due date to alert them that the bank account is closed, and I need to add a new bank account, but they told me that the only way to do this is by logging in into my PayPal account, which I then found out that I can't even do it, as PayPal gives me an error massage every time I try to log in. So I paid the monthly payment thru synchrony phone system, but later I found out that they still tried to debit my closed bank account, even after I reported it as closed, and they also charged me a late fee, even after I paid on-time. I than missed June's payment as I'm used to get all my bills and monthly payment paid automatically as I'm very busy running my business.

I then I received an alert that I owe them $175 which includes the missing payment, next month's payment, and 2 late fees. Today I called them to inquire about the new amount owed, and that's when I found out that they charged me late fee for last month, even though I paid it on-time. They than informed me that they will credit me last month's penalty, but I still need to pay it! They mentioned that they will credit it to my total balance.

I keep trying to explain that this late fee is not valid even by their admission, but they insist for me to pay it now in order to get it credited later. I have no problem with paying it, as it's not a life changing amount, even though it's not fair, but my problem is that they can use it against me by reporting this alleged late payment to the credit bureaus as by me paying this late fee, it can be seen as admission to a late payment that didn't exist!

Synchrony bank are the ones who keep harassing me on the phone and emails regarding the single late payment, but when I asked them to see my statements, they refused and informed me that the only way to see it is by logging into PayPal, and I also can't add a bank account to the auto pay with them directly.

They make their own rules as they see fit, I can pay them the "PayPal's Credit loan" monthly payments directly, but not allowed to see my statements or add an auto pay unless I log into my PayPal account. I really need help dealing with this injustice!

User's recommendation: be careful dealing with these crooks.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Location: Miami, Florida